The HUAWEI Y series was designed for the consumer looking for high performance and reliable quality in mind at a more budget friendly price. For its latest version, Huawei packs the Y6 2018 with advanced features such as Face Unlock, a better selfie camera with toning flash and a full view screen–features you don’t normally see in similar priced handsets.
It even has a group music and Karaoke mode which I’m sure a lot of younger users will enjoy.
Let’s take a quick look at the Y6 2018 and see what it has to offer!
Huawei Y6 2018 SpecSheet:
Display: Full View 5.7-inch HD+ 1440 x 720 resolution w/ 2.5D curved glass at 282 ppi
Processor/CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit Snapdragon 425 quad-core processo
Graphics: Adreno 308
Storage: 16GB expandable via microSD card slot up to 256GB (dedicated)
Main Camera (Rear): 13MP f/2.2 w/ AF and LED flash
Selfie Camera: 5MP f/2.2 w/ screen flash
OS: Android 8.0 Oreo w/ EMUI 8.0
Connectivity: WiFi, 3G, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, A-GPS, dual SIM
Sensors: Accelerometer, light, proximity, sound
Others: Face unlock,
Colors: black, blue
Dimensions: 152.4 x 73 x 8.05 mm
Weight: 150 g
WHAT’S INSIDE THE BOX?
Unlike the previous models which came in a red box, the Y6 2018 comes in a white box similar to the other Huawei phones which came out this year like the Nova 2 lite and P20 series. The new box gives it a more premium package although I think it will be more difficult for the stores to keep it immaculately clean. I also like the Instagram-inspired font on the front which is definitely eye-catching and exudes a youthful vibe.
Inside, you’ll find the usual paper document, SIM ejector tool, a 1A USB wall charger, USB to micro USB data / charging cable, and of course the Y6 2018 phone with pre-installed screen protector. However, there’s no protective case or earphones with mic (perhaps to showcase the loudspeaker?)
DESIGN AND BUILD
In terms of design, the Y6 2018 looks pretty good and will probably remind you of the higher-end Nova 2 lite, if not for the absence of the fingerprint sensor on the back. It has the matte textured polycarbonate back plate and metallic chrome painted plastic sides.
For a device with a 5.7-inch display, the Y6 still fits snug in your hands due to its taller 18:9 screen aspect ratio and narrower looking bezels than most budget phones. Its even slimmer than the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. The HD+ 18:9 2.5D curved screen is protected by the pre-installed screen protector.
Exploring the sides of the phone, up top is the 3.5mm audio port. On the left is a card tray that can accommodate two nano-SIM cards as well as a dedicated slot for a microSD card. It’s a good thing Huawei used a triple card tray over a hybrid one so you don’t have to choose between a secondary sim or an SD card for added storage. View it from the right and there’s the power button and volume rocker and on the bottom is the main microphone, microUSB port and speaker grill. Flip it on its back and there’s the 13MP 5P PDAF rear camera with LED flash.
Our review unit came in matte black which makes it look more serious than its attention-grabbing blue brother.
Overall build quality is quite good considering its price, its solid, light and like I mentioned comfortable to hold. Still I suggest you get a case to protect it from smudges and scratches and at least even out the slightly protruded camera at the back. Since Huawei didn’t include one in the box, hopefully they’ll make some cases available in their experience stores and shops.
6 THINGS I LIKED
I’ve already discussed the design and build as well as the display of the Y6 2018, and after playing around with it we’ve found six other things that makes it a compelling buy.
- FUN ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE: Because of its Full View display, the Y6 gives you more screen real estate which if you are a gamer or an avid movie buff makes a lot of difference. The speaker is loud (88 dB loudspeaker, louder than other phones) the screen is clear and bright so watching videos are going to be a lot more fun. There’s also a group music and karaoke mode which I’ll try to explore more and with Huawei Histen algorithm you get even more sound options when you plug in a headset.
- RELIABLE PERFORMANCE: The Y6 2018 is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 425 chip and a quad-core processor designed to provide acceptable performance on budget smartphones. So far, basic operations are smooth and trying on the preinstalled games from Gameloft—Spiderman, Asphalt Nitro, Dragon Mania were all running without noticeable lag. I even tried split screen mode browsing on one window and watching YouTube on the other and there was no problem
- LATEST ANDROID OS: Not all budget phones come with Android Oreo out of the box, but the not only does the Y6 2018 ship with the latest Android OS it also has the latest EMUI 8.0 skin and if you’re a Huawei user you know that EMUI 8 is one of the cleanest and responsive UIs out there.
- CAMERA: Huawei has always been known for having great cameras and the Y6 is equipped with a decent 13MP f/2.2 primary sensor and a 5MP selfie shooter. The 13MP camera can shoot great daylight photos and decent indoor images. The selfie camera is good and with the addition of the Selfie toning flash, it makes portraits and landscapes look natural and vivid – perfect for capturing the energetic, youthful moments. Huawei said a software update will add AR filters on the device and hopefully sticker as well.
- FACE UNLOCK: A feature previously found on higher priced models, the Y6 Face Unlock is quick especially in well-lit situations and works even in lowlight.
- GAME SUITE: Who doesn’t use their mobile phone for gaming? The game suite integrates resources to improve gaming performance. When this mode is enabled, the phone can balance game performance and battery consumption. The game suite hides unimportant onscreen notifications, except for calls, alarms and low battery alerts to ensure a seamless, uninterrupted gaming experience.
Other features worth mentioning is Dual Bluetooth connectivity meaning you can connect it to your car and a smartwatch at the same time. Split Screen which allows you to multitask—ex enjoy videos while chatting with friends, or take notes while reading a document. Mini Screen view for one handed operation—just slide your finger across the navigation bar to switch between the standard and mini screen views. Another feature which you don’t find in budget phones is LED notification, OTG, and dual SIM slots all of which you’ll find useful in the Y6.
After playing around with it a bit the Huawei Y6 2018 is definitely a thumbs up and worth considering. It’s 18:9 display ratio and near bezel-less screen makes it a good gaming and entertainment device and the loudspeaker is really quite loud. It has decent specs which translate to okay performance, no hang ups so far. The 13MP camera shoots decent photos and Face unlock is fun to use and once the Karaoke mode, Group Music and AR filter updates come out, it will even be worth more than its PHP 5,990 price tag!
Subscribe to our Facebook Page and Instagram for all the updates and check back for our Full Review soon!