For the past several years, the Huawei MediaPad series has had a great reputation for being among best Android tablets that’s perfect for watching movies or TV shows, reading ebooks etc because of its large clear screen and loud speakers.
This time, Huawei adds another premium tablet in its lineup, built for those who want to do more with their tablets and further explore their creativity.
Designed as a premium “productivity tablet,” the HUAWEI MatePad Pro has a 10.8-inch display with the world’s thinnest tablet bezels, the most powerful Kirin processor, long-lasting battery, wireless charging and a couple of must-have peripherals—the M-Pencil and Smart Magnetic Keyboard.
If you are still on the fence about getting what is arguably the best new Android Tablet in the market today, here are 11 reasons to help you make that decision.
1.THE LOOK OF THE FUTURE: The Huawei MatePad Pro combines technology and style with its slim build and symmetrical design. It has a magnesium alloy frame to keep it light and durable while its micro-curved design ensures a comfortable hold. The communications antennas and wireless charging module are both tucked neatly inside the enclosure so that there would be no exposed breakpoint to disrupt its seamless design.
2. ALL-SCREEN EXPERIENCE: The Huawei MatePad Pro features the world’s highest tablet screen-to-body ratio, at 90% (even higher than iPad Pro and Galaxy Tab S6) with ultra-narrow 4.9mm4 bezels surrounding the 10.8-inch symmetrical, edge-to-edge display. This 10.8-inch screen has a 16:10 2K QHD (2560×1600) panel supporting the DCI-P3 cinematic colour gamut. It likewise has a higher pixel density of 280ppi as compared to the iPad Pro’s 264ppi.
3. BEST FOR BINGEWATCHING: When you have a screen this big, its hard to resist the temptation of binge watching a few movies or your favorite TV shows and the MatePad Pro delivers a most immersive user experience. It’s large ‘s screen was engineered to deliver cinematic experiences with crispy details and vibrant colors supporting up to 540 nits brightness and 1500:1 contrast ratio.
4. EYE PROTECTION/ POSTURE REMINDER: Since you won’t probably be able to resist looking at the screen for long periods of time, the MatePad Pro has a TÜV Rheinland certified Eye Comfort mode to help alleviate eye fatigue. This feature lets you customize the color temperature of the display to your liking. Alternatively, you can enable Natural Tone, which adjusts color temperature based on ambient lighting to deliver consistent paper-like viewing experience. The MatePad Pro also has other eye protection features: posture reminder, smart brightness adjustment, digital balance and flickering reduction.
5. HOME THEATER SOUND QUALITY: Making your viewing experience even more immersive is the MatePad Pro’s Quad-Channel stereo speakers tuned by no less than Harman Kardon and Histen 6.0 to drive 3D stereo sound effects. Unlike most Android devices that only support dual-channel sound output, the MatePad Pro supports four- channel sound output to deliver a richer experience. The high-amplitude quad-channel stereo speakers reproduce even the most intricate sounds with impeccable clarity its like having a home theater setup in your hands.
6. FAST AND POWERFUL: The Huawei MatePad Pro was built for work, play, and everything in between. Powered by Huawei’s fastest 7nm Kirin 990 processor, it’s built to handle multitasking scenarios with ease, so you can open multiple tabs, play games and launch apps without any slowdown on system performance. Huawei has engineered a custom octa-core CPU comprising two big and mid custom Cortex-A76 cores, and four tiny Cortex-A55 cores. Running at a base clock of 2.86GHz, the Kirin 990 delivers 14% better single core performance and 18% multi-core performance over the its predecessor. Whether its word processing, photo editing or even light video editing on the go, you can expect flagship performance from the MatePad Pro.
7. ALL DAY BATTERY: Powering the Huawei MatePad Pro is a 7250mAh battery when combined with the hardware and software power optimization, the battery can keep the tablet powered for up to 12 hours of continuous HD video, 11.5 hours of internet browsing and 11 hours of productivity tasks (emails, word processing, etc.)
8. INNOVATIVE CHARGING OPTIONS: The MatePad Pro is the world’s first tablet to support wireless and reverse wireless charging. On top of a 27W Wireless HUAWEI SuperCharge charger base, the device supports 15W wireless charging. A half-hour wireless charging session gives the tablet two hours of use time, and an hour of wireless charging time gives it up to 4.2 hours of use time.
The MatePad Pro likewise supports reverse charging, and can output 7.5W power to charge wireless charging-enabled devices such as smartphones, headphones etc,
It comes with a 20W power adapter for quick charging but it can support Huawei 40W SuperCharge. A 30-minute charge can make the tablet last for 3 hours.
9. MULTI-WINDOW / APP MULTIPLIER: To help you multitask, the MatePad Pro allows you to open several windows like a word processor on one side open a browser window on the other. You can even try putting a movie and game screen side by side. A floating window on the other hand lets you respond to text messages while gaming or watching a video without the need to minimize the app.
If multiwindow allows you to open two different apps at a time, AppMultiplier lets you open two windows of the same app. When in landscape mode, App-Multiplier enables the information of one app to be delivered through two independently operable windows. You can also drag and adjust the size of both windows to suit your own preferences.
10. MULTI-SCREEN: If you are using a Huawei smartphone or tablet, Huawei share enables Multi-screen Collaboration which lets you control both devices from just one screen and freely project their smartphones on the tablet to enjoy the best of both worlds. To transfer files all you have to do is drag and drop (images, documents, and text) from your phone to your tablet (or vice versa). You can also drag local images from one device to a productivity app opened on the other device for quick image insertion.
11. M-PENCIL: Unleash your creativity and turn the MatePad Pro into a canvas using the M-Pencil. With 4,096 pressure-sensitive levels and tilt support, users can expect incredible accuracy and sensitivity from the HUAWEI M-Pencil. It is also highly responsive at sub-20ms latency. The input lag is imperceptible to the human eye, making writing on screen as natural as it is on paper.
This improved stylus delivers a natural and intuitive writing experience and is designed to fit snugly with any grip for maximum writing comfort. The stylus is also made to last and can be used for up to 20,000m of writing with little wear and tear. The M-pencil attaches to the tablet via magnet to wirelessly charge it.
12. NEBO on the other hand lets you easily and quickly take notes in the most natural way. Leveraging the powerful AI notetaking capability, the app delivers a high performance and intuitive handwriting experience. Smart gestures let you perform quick edits – a scratch-out erases a word automatically, without requiring you to select the eraser tool first. Intelligent formatting makes your quickly scribbled down notes neat and tidy, while the diagram drawing tool enables you to transform hand-drawn sketches into interactive diagrams with two taps on the screen.
13. SMART MAGNETIC KEYBOARD: Probably the best accessory that really transforms your MatePad Pro into a productivity device. The keyboard folio features a 1.3mm key travel distance for comfortable typing while the Shift key doubles as a toggle for HUAWEI Share, providing quick access to the Multi- screen Collaboration feature. Connect the keyboard via Bluetooth and switch to Desktop Mode to transform your MatePad into a laptop and easily compose or edit documents using the WPS Office app.
14. MEETIME HD CALLS: The MatePad Pro comes with EMUI 10.1 which introduces Huawei MeeTime, the world’s first all-scenario video calling app. MeeTime supports up to 1080p Full HD video calls between Huawei devices and takes full advantage of the integration between software and hardware to deliver a high-quality video call experience. Users can also share their screen during a call with the other party and simultaneously mark-up the screen to collaborate with each other.
15. DON’T WORRY THERE’S THE APP GALLERY: I’ve been using the APP GALLERY since I got my Mate 30 Pro last year, and I do admit I was kind of apprehensive at first about missing out on some of the apps I used frequently. BUT as it turns out most of them are already in Huawei’s APP Gallery and you could easily download the others easily from their website. As the the third-biggest app distribution platform globally, with 180 billion downloads and 390 million monthly active users worldwide the APP Gallery continues to grow bigger every day adding more apps and games to its repertoire for users to enjoy.
The Huawei AppGallery is filled with essential apps like Facebook, Viber, TikTok, GCash, BDO, PSBank Mobile, Booky, OWTO, Lazada, Asphalt 9, Wordscapes, Booking.com, Lazada, Camera 360, Lazada-Online Shopping & Deals, Shopee, SHAREit, Viber Messenger, GCash, SnapChat, BDO Personal Banking, Merriam Webster Dictionary, Globe Rewards, Speed Test, Agoda, WeChat, PayMaya, Klook, WeSing, PhotoGrid, Philippine Airlines, CLiQQby7-Eleven, Booky, iFlix, WPS, MetroBank, Union Bank Online, SSS, Viu, Trivago, Traveloka, Wattpad, Eastwest Bank, Meralco, Canva, AliExpress etc.
To further ensure the safety of everyone downloading from the APP Gallery, Huawei also initiated the Four-layer Detection, Privacy Check, Security Vulnerabilities Scanning, Malicious Behavior Detection, and manual Real-name Security Check. https://huaweimobileservices.com/appgallery/
That’s it for now, which one do you think is the most interesting feature of the Huawei MatePad Pro? We’ll have a full review in the coming weeks. Don’t forget to read our column The Technivore on Business Mirror every Saturday!